On April 3, 2008, I will be discussing some of the most common HIPAA misinterpretations and burning questions still out there at a Compliance Seminar organized and offered through the NJ Medical Society of New Jersey. Among the specific questions I will cover are:
- When can information be released to a patient’s relatives and friends?
- Can medical records be released pursuant to a subpoena?
- Is a HIPAA Business Associate Agreement required for all vendors?
- Should medical records be taken home?
- How long should I keep medical records? billing records? administrative records?
- Do I have to notify patients of accidental disclosures? What about security breaches?
- What should I do if a HIPAA complaint is filed against my practice?
- What are the benefits and risks with participating in a electronic health information exchange with a hospital or other provider?
For further information about the Compliance Seminar, visit: http://www.msnj.org/practicemanagers/Education.aspx