Looking to buy or upgrade your scheduling, billing and collection software? Want to make sure what you’re buying meets the latest HIPAA electronic standard transaction criteria and is able to handle the new ICD-10 codes? Shopping for an Electronic Health Record (EHR) system that includes a practice management component and will qualify for HITECH subsidies? The American Medical Association and the Medical Group Management Association have published a toolkit that will walk you through the process.
The toolkit includes a directory of software vendors, a sample RFP, a sample vendor survey, a practice management system criteria checklist and a buyer’s guide to practice management systems. All but the buyer’s guide are only available to AMA or MGMA members.
The buyer’s guide suggests a five-step process:
- Establish an assessment team
- Analyze the patient and claims revenue cycle
- Identify software functionality and features
- Conduct a vendor survey and identify vendors you will consider
- Request and review formal proposals from selected vendors
This package may help physician practices make sense of the confusing world of practice management systems before they make a significant financial commitment.